After the flood
- Follow the instructions of the authorities before taking any action, like going back to the house, shovelling mud, emptying water from basements, etc.
- Do not pass along flooded roads: there may be chasms, potholes, open manholes or severed wires. In addition, water may be contaminated by fuel or other substances
- Pay attention to areas where the water has receded: the road surface may be weakened and collapse
- Check to see if you can reactivate the gas and the electrical system. If necessary, ask for the advice of a technician
- Before using the sewage systems, gather information on whether drainage systems, septic tanks and wells are not damaged
- Before drinking tap water make sure that municipal ordinances or warnings do not prohibit it; do not eat food that have come into contact with floodwater: it could be contaminated
- Learn which is the correct behaviour in case of alert, during a flood and right after it